I have mouth ulcers that sometimes hurt when I have braces. Are there any over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers?
Over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers should contain ingredients that relieve the pain and inflammation of mouth ulcers.
This time,Here are five recommended over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers!
- Ingredients in over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers
- How to Choose Over-the-Counter Medicines for Mouth ulcers
- Five recommended over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers
- Cautions for over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers
- How to treat mouth ulcers other than with over-the-counter medications
- Take advantage of over-the-counter medications to improve mouth ulcers.
Ingredients in over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers
The basic ingredients of over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers differ between topical medications used in ointments and patches and those used in tablets and other oral medications.
Ingredients for topical application (ointment, patch, etc.)
- triamcinolone acetonide
- sodium azulenesulfonate
- glycyrrhetinic acid
allActs to reduce inflammation and pain of mouth ulcersThere are two types of stomatitis. The difference between steroidal and nonsteroidal is when they block the process of mouth sores pain and inflammation.
The pain and inflammation of mouth ulcers is caused by arachidonic acid, an enzyme that creates substances that cause inflammation and pain.
Nonsteroidal ingredients relieve the symptoms of stomatitis by interfering with the enzymatic process by which arachidonic acid causes pain and inflammation. Steroidal ingredients, on the other hand, block pain and inflammation at the source by inhibiting the action of arachidonic acid itself.
Therefore,Steroidal ingredients are more potent in curing mouth ulcers than non-steroidal ingredients.It is.
In addition to ingredients that reduce inflammation of mouth ulcers, some products contain allantoin, which repairs the mucous membrane tissues of the mouth, and cetylpyridinium chloride hydrate, which has a bactericidal and disinfecting effect.
Ingredients for oral medicines
- tranexamic acid
- vitamin B2
- vitamin B6
- Vitamin C, etc.
Tranexamic acid is,It reduces inflammation of mouth ulcers from inside the body.Vitamins also improve the barrier function of the mucous membranes of the mouth.
How to Choose Over-the-Counter Medicines for Mouth ulcers
Mouth ulcer medications include both topical and oral medications, both of which contain ingredients that improve mouth ulcers.
This is because topical medications act directly on mouth ulcers, whereas oral medications act on mouth ulcers from inside the body,Topical medications are recommended for severe pain and inflammation caused by mouth ulcersIt is.
Since there are various types of topical medications, including those taken by mouth, we will introduce when they are recommended to be used!
medicine for external use
There are three main types of topical agents
- Ointment type
- Patch type
- Liquid type
Covers mouth sores and relieves pain from food, orthodontic appliances, etc. (contact pain).
It is suitable for use when there is a cluster of mouth ulcers or when the area of inflammation is too large to apply a patch.
It provides better coverage of mouth ulcers than the ointment type. Since the medication does not easily flow away with saliva, etc., the ingredients of the medication can be held in place while reducing contact pain.
When there are many mouth ulcers, it is not possible to cover them with patches alone,It is suitable for use when the number of mouth ulcers is small.
Some spray the solution into the mouth sores, while others use it as a gargle.
It is suitable for use when there are many mouth ulcers, when it is difficult to reach with fingers to apply ointment, or when it is too painful to touch.
When you do not want to apply topical medications in the mouth or,Recommended when you want to improve your body from the inside out.It is.
Five recommended over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers
Here are five over-the-counter medications for mouth sores and inflammation!
Steroidal｜Traflu Ointment PRO Quick
- Contains the steroid triamcinolone acetonide
- Ointment type for easy adherence to mouth ulcers
- No age restrictions, so it can be used for children.
Traflu Ointment PRO Quick is a mouth ulcer treatment classified as a "Class II drug" that contains some of the most effective ingredients available over the counter.Recommended for those who want to heal mouth ulcers quickly.
Non-steroidal｜Sato oral ointment
- Double combination of non-steroidal "sodium azulenesulfonate" and "glycyrrhetinic acid
- Cetylpyridinium Chloride Hydrate" keeps the area around mouth ulcers clean with its antibacterial action.
- Solidifies like a jelly in the mouth and tends to stay in the mouth
Recommended for those looking for a non-steroidal mouth ulcer treatment.It is.
When applied to mouth ulcers, the ointment hardens into a jelly-like substance that is not easily washed away by saliva, reducing inflammation of the mouth ulcers while protecting them from external stimuli that can cause pain.
Steroidal｜Stomatitis Patch Taisho Quick Care
- Contains the steroid ingredient triamcinolone acetonide
- The patch does not dissolve in the mouth, so it has good coverage of mouth ulcers.
- Cellulose patch, so it is safe even if swallowed.
This steroidal mouth ulcer patch is an excellent treatment for mouth ulcers.
Simply apply over mouth ulcers like an adhesive bandage to get the desired effectThe patch will peel off naturally. The patch will peel off naturally, and when it does, replace it with a new patch.
Non-steroidal｜Stomatitis Patch Taisho A
- Contains non-steroidal "glycyrrhetinic acid" and "shikon extract
- Reduces inflammation and pain of mouth ulcers while stimulating mucous membrane formation and speeding up healing.
- Cellulosic patches that are safe to swallow, so you can rest assured
It is a non-steroidal stomatitis patch from Taisho Pharmaceutical.
0.1mm ultra-thin patchand are made to cause as little discomfort as possible.
Chocola BB Mouth ulcer Repair Shot
- Non-steroidal "sodium azulenesulfonate" soothes inflammation.
- Spray type for on-the-go or portable use
- Can be used when the throat is swollen and painful.
This spray-type medicine contains the anti-inflammatory ingredient sodium azulene sulfonate and the bactericidal ingredient cetylpyridinium chloride.
It is suitable for on-the-go care because it can be used cleanly without getting hands dirty.
Cautions for over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers
When using over-the-counter medications for mouth ulcers, be aware of the following
- There are a limited number of types of mouth ulcers that over-the-counter medications can help.
- Check the age range for children's mouth ulcers for medications.
There are a limited number of types of mouth ulcers that over-the-counter medications can help.
Typical mouth ulcers include the following
- Aphthous stomatitis (ulcerative stomatitis), which is caused by a weakened immune system, fatigue, and stress.
- Catarrhal stomatitis (traumatic stomatitis), which can be caused by rubbing orthodontic appliances, burns, or biting the cheek
- Herpetic stomatitis" caused by herpes simplex virus
- Candida stomatitis," caused by Candida, a type of mold
There are other types of mouth ulcers, though, such as those caused by sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia,
Over-the-counter medications are effective only for aphthous and catarrhal stomatitis.
Over-the-counter medications do not work for mouth ulcers other than aphthous and catarrhal, so see a doctor if you have
- Not cured after using over-the-counter medications for about a week.
- Mouth sores are growing.
- Repeated mouth ulcers
- Lots of mouth ulcers at the same time.
- White moss-like spots in the mouth
- Multiple small blisters are present on the lips and skin as well as the mouth.
Check the age range for children's mouth ulcers for medications.
Children can also develop mouth ulcers, but some over-the-counter medications have age restrictions and cannot be used by children.
When using the product, check the target age range and follow the directions for use and dosage.In addition, a parent or guardian should apply the medication or use it in a place where they can see it.
How to treat mouth ulcers other than with over-the-counter medications
In addition to treating mouth ulcers with over-the-counter medications, the following methods can also be used to treat mouth ulcers.
- take vitamins
- Establish a lifestyle
- go to the hospital
Vitamins help to moisturize and protect the mucous membranes of the mouth.Take vitamins through foods that contain vitamins and through oral medications and supplements to improve mouth ulcers quickly.
In particular, B vitamins such as vitamin B1, B2, and B6 are very important for maintaining physical health because they not only protect mucous membranes but also relieve stress and improve immune function.
Vitamin intake is important because stress and a weakened immune system can make the mucous membranes of the mouth more sensitive to irritation, and the irritation from orthodontic appliances can lead to mouth sores.
Establish a lifestyle
When mouth ulcers form, it is a sign that the body is tired.Get plenty of sleep and lead a regular life.
Also,If the mouth is unclean, bacterial growth can worsen mouth ulcers.Therefore, it is also important to clean the mouth by brushing the teeth after each meal.
go to the hospital
One option is to see an ENT, dentist, internist, or dermatologist for mouth ulcers.
Dentistry can use lasers to disinfect and sterilize mouth ulcers to reduce pain and inflammation.It is.
Take advantage of over-the-counter medications to improve mouth ulcers.
Mouth sores can be caused by physical fatigue or stress, but they can also be caused by appliances rubbing against the mucous membranes or dentures hitting them during orthodontic treatment.
Over-the-counter mouth ulcer remedies can be purchased at pharmacies and online shopping.
365dentist is now offering useful information about the mouth, and consultation for your oral concerns through a dentist-run open chat. If you are interested, please come visit us!
365dentist General Supervisor Dentist/snow child (type of winter spirit)
Graduated from Nagasaki University School of Dentistry, ~2018 Kyushu Medical Center, 2018-present Working at a dental clinic in Tokyo
After completing clinical training, worked in cosmetic dentistry in Tokyo. Currently a dentist and dental writer.