Last updated July 18, 2023
Doctor, can oral candida be cured by myself?
I was also told that an over-the-counter isodine medicine would help...
Oral candida is a disease caused by a fungus (a type of mold) that is present in everyone's mouth.
Since anyone can develop this disease, I am wondering if it can be cured on its own!
This time,Can you cure oral candida yourself and does isodine work for oral candida? I will talk about the following!
Can I treat oral candida myself? Does over-the-counter isodine work?
Oral candida is,
- Poor mouth cleaning
- Long-term medications (steroids, immunosuppressants, anticancer drugs, antibacterial drugs, etc.)
- Decreased immunity (old age, stress, physical fatigue, etc.)
because of things like,It is caused by the growth of Candida (a type of fungus), a common bacterium in the mouth.
Isodine is an over-the-counter gargle available at drugstores and Amazon.
The povidone-iodine contained in the product kills the fungus Candida.
Also, because there have been clinical studies showing the efficacy of isodine against oral candida,Depending on how it is used, it may be effective in improving oral candida.(*)
However, treatment for oral candida generally involves reviewing mouth-cleaning practices to prevent the growth of Candida while using antifungal gargles or oral medications prescribed by a health care provider, depending on the symptoms.
Isodine is not effective enough to inhibit the synthesis of Candida itself, as antifungal drugs do.
Therefore,If the symptoms are severe enough to require antifungal medications, it will be difficult to treat them yourself with isodine.
*Source: "Is Povidone-Iodine Gargle Useful - A Proposal and Mouth Hold Method for a Good Relationship as a Drug", Whereabouts of Dentistry.
Effective use of isodine for oral candida
The "Isodine Mouth Hold Method" is an effective method of isodine action for oral candida.
Isodine Mouse Hold Method Procedure
The isodine mouth hold method is a simple 3-step process!
- Dilute Isodine 15-30 times according to dosage and administration.
- Hold in mouth and wait 20-30 seconds.
- Spit it out after 20 to 30 seconds.
The point is not to buzz or rattle gargle in the mouth,Just include and let the isodine blend into the mucous membranes of the mouth.It is.
By firmly adhering isodine to the mucous membranes of the mouth for 20 to 30 seconds, isodine acts on Candida bacteria, making it easier to kill them.
Be aware that if you gargle or rattle your mouth, the isodine will have less time to adhere to the mucous membranes of your mouth and will not have the same bactericidal effect.
If you feel sick in your mouth after spitting out the isodine, you can gargle with water.
Cautions for the Isodine Mouth Hold Method
When using Isodine, the following points should be noted
- Contraindicated for use in persons with iodine allergy or thyroid dysfunction.
- Prolonged use is prohibited as a preventive measure, since prolonged use may kill more oral bacteria than necessary and cause other problems. Continuous use should be limited to 2-3 weeks at most.
- Since they are less effective than antifungal medications and isodine may not be effective, see a dentist, dental surgeon, or otolaryngologist if symptoms do not improve.
- Because isodine contains alcohol, gargle with water after spitting out the isodine if you have dry mouth.
- If pain or tingling irritation occurs during gargling, the concentration is too high and the dosage should be checked carefully.
Symptoms of Oral Candida
Symptoms of oral candida include the following
- A white film that peels off when rubbed on the mucous membranes of the mouth
- Tingling pain on the tongue.
- Increased tongue tingling after eating foods with high temperature or spicy foods
- Bitter feeling in the mouth and strange taste sensation
- Tongue is red and slippery.
- Dry mouth
- Cutting edges of the mouth or rough lips
- Reddening of mucous membranes in contact with dentures
The most common sites of manifestation are the mucous membranes of the tongue and maxilla,White moss-like substance adheres to mucous membranes, but can be removed by wipingIt is.
White moss that has been removed may reappear after removal, and redness, swelling, bleeding, swelling, atrophy, and sores on the tongue surface may occur after removal.
It can be acute or chronic,Prone to chronicity depending on oral cleanliness, use of steroids, immunosuppressive drugs, anticancer drugs, antibacterial drugs, etc., and immune status.Therefore, it is necessary to pay attention to the following.
In particular, long-term use of steroidal mouth ulcers, mistaking oral candida for mouth ulcers, may exacerbate oral candida.
Also, if the white part does not come off by rubbing,Possible cancerous disease such as leukoplakia or lichen planus, so it is recommended to see a hospital as soon as possibleIt is.
Oral candida can be seen by dentists, dental surgeons, and otolaryngologists.
Oral candida can sometimes be remedied with isodine.
Oral candida is,It may be remedied with isodine, which has a bactericidal effect on the causative Candida bacteria.
However, some symptoms may require the use of antifungal medications, which may be for diseases other than oral candida.
Basically, it is recommended to see a dentist, dental surgeon, or otolaryngologist.
- Consultation via dentist-run open chat
- Helping you find the right dentist for you
- Useful columns about the mouth
to support your oral health and beauty!
If you have oral candida or other oral problems, please feel free to contact us first for a dentist-operated open chat!
365dentist General Supervisor Dentist/snow child (type of winter spirit)
Graduated from Nagasaki University School of Dentistry, ~2018 Kyushu Medical Center, 2018-present Working at a dental clinic in Tokyo
After completing clinical training, worked in cosmetic dentistry in Tokyo. Currently a dentist and dental writer.