Last updated September 7, 2022
I heard that mouthwash is good for stains that cannot be removed by brushing alone, does it work?
Mouthwash can be used to prevent cavities, gum disease, and bad breath, as well as for whitening.
This time,Let's talk about the benefits of mouthwash!
- Effects of mouthwash
- Effects of mouthwash (1) Prevention of cavities, periodontal disease, and bad breath
- Effect of mouthwash (2) Whitening
- Effect of mouthwash (3) Duration of effect is short.
- What are the dangers of mouthwash? Is it safe?
- 365dentist recommended effective mouthwash
- If you want to use mouthwash effectively, pay attention to the ingredients.
Effects of mouthwash
Mouthwash is,Various effects depending on the ingredients containedI will do so.
You can choose according to your purpose, such as preventing tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath, as well as preventing staining with whitening ingredients.
However, the duration of the effect is short,Mouthwash alone cannot remove the clumps of bacteria (plaque) and staining substances that cause oral problems.
Basically, it is effective when incorporated as a finishing care after brushing and flossing.
By the way, do not make the mistake of using "liquid toothpaste" instead of toothpaste, as it looks the same.
Mouthwash is used after brushing and liquid toothpaste is used before brushing.
Effects of mouthwash (1) Prevention of cavities, periodontal disease, and bad breath
For mouthwashes that contain bactericidal or protein-removing ingredients,It is effective in preventing tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
Tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath are caused by oral bacteria that break down proteins in the mouth, such as food debris, dirt on the tongue, and debris from peeling mucous membranes.
Therefore, to prevent these,
- Inhibition of oral bacterial activity
- Removal of proteins that are the source of bacterial activity
The mechanism that causes tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath must be broken by the action of either the
Effectiveness of mouthwashes that inhibit the activity of oral bacteria
Mouthwashes that inhibit the activity of oral bacteria are,
- CPC (cetylpyridinium chloride)
- BTC (Benzethonium chloride)
- chlorhexidine gluconate
with bactericidal ingredients such as,It weakens bacteria and reduces the occurrence of tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
When you use a mouthwash that suppresses oral bacteria, there is a protein that can cause problems, but there is not a protein that can cause problems.The bacteria aren't strong enough to break down the protein."This is the state of the art.
Effectiveness of protein-removing type mouthwash
Protein removal type mouthwash is,
- Capsicum annuum extract
By components such as,It reduces the occurrence of cavities, gum disease, and bad breath by breaking down and hardening the proteins that cause problems and removing them from the mouth.
Using a protein-removing type mouthwash can move the bacteria, butI can't move because I don't have protein, which is the source of my activity."This is the state of the art.
Effect of mouthwash (2) Whitening
Mouthwash with whitening effect is,
- sulfosuccinic acid
- sodium polyphosphate
and other ingredients.
Sulfosuccinic acid and sodium polyphosphate can be used to wash off staining substances immediately after they are attached and to coat teeth,It is effective in preventing the adhesion of new color stains.
Be careful what you mean by "whitening" mouthwash.
The "whitening" listed on the mouthwash is,It means to wash out stains and restore the original tooth color.It is.
Note that this is not the same as whitening, which bleaches the teeth as you would get at a dentist's office.
Effect of mouthwash (3) Duration of effect is short.
The duration of mouthwash effectiveness varies from product to product, though,The longest one is about 12 hours.and short.
The self-cleaning action of saliva washes away the mouthwash ingredients over time.
In addition, eating will naturally supply the protein that is the source of activity of the mouth bacteria, thus eliminating the mouthwash's effectiveness.
What are the dangers of mouthwash? Is it safe?
Mouthwashes are often so strong-tasting and irritating that people often ask, "Aren't they dangerous to your body?" Mouthwashes are sometimes said to be "dangerous to the body" because of their strong taste and irritation.
For why mouthwash is considered dangerous,Because of the risk of the following side effectsIt is.
- May cause pain in the mucous membranes of the mouth when used
- May develop allergies.
- Dry mouth and oral bacterial imbalances can cause tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, candidiasis, and other mucosal abnormalities
- Some people skip brushing their teeth.
- May contain carcinogenic ingredients
Mouthwashes sold in Japan have been approved for safety and are safe if used according to the directions for use.
But it's not just mouthwash, but cosmetics and other products as well,Any pain or allergic reaction during use is not suitable for the body and it is dangerous to continue using itIt is.
In addition, mouthwash is so refreshing after use that it may give the illusion that the mouth is clean without brushing.
Neglected tooth brushing can lead to unclean mouths and problems such as tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
Observe precautions for safe use.If you experience pain, allergic reactions, or other problems, stop using the product immediately.
365dentist recommended effective mouthwash
Here are five mouthwashes we recommend!
- Mouthwash used by dentists during treatment
- Bactericidal effect of chlorhexidine gluconate for total care of cavities, periodontal disease, and bad breath
- Effects last 12 hours per use.
- Concentrated type, so excellent cosmetics
- Highly supported by dentists
- Highly bactericidal and effective in preventing cavities and periodontal disease
- Refreshes the oral cavity and suppresses stickiness
- Sulfosuccinic acid, a stain control ingredient, prevents color stains
- Contains odor-absorbing ingredients, so it is recommended for etiquette bad breath care.
- Choice of three flavors: natural mint, peach leaf mint, or floral white tea
- Classified as a Class 3 drug and recognized for its very high cavity-preventive effect
- Excellent effectiveness with once-a-day use.
- Non-alcoholic type with relatively mild irritation
Sato Pharmaceuticals Aces Mediclean
- Pharmaceutical mouthwash, specialized in alleviating periodontal disease
- Indications include the ability to relieve symptoms of periodontal disease (bleeding gums, drainage, swelling, etc.)
If you want to use mouthwash effectively, pay attention to the ingredients.
Mouthwashes vary in effectiveness depending on the ingredients they contain.
Choose the one that best suits the effect you want.
365dentist has an extensive column on mouthwash and other mouth care products.
We also have a dentist-run open chat and help you choose the right dentist for you, so please come visit us if you are interested!
365dentist General Supervisor Dentist/Yukiko Katsuya
Graduated from Nagasaki University School of Dentistry, ~2018 Kyushu Medical Center, 2018-present Working at a dental clinic in Tokyo
After completing clinical training, worked in cosmetic dentistry in Tokyo. Currently a dentist and dental writer.