Last updated on October 9, 2023
Doctor, I heard that I should not get braces for adults.
I'd like to straighten mine out now too...
This time,We will discuss whether adults should not wear braces, and we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of adult braces!
- Should adults stop wearing braces?
- Disadvantages and risks of adult braces
- Advantages of Adult Braces
- Cost of Adult Braces
- Length of time for adult braces
- Adult braces pain
- Patterns of failure and regret in adult braces
- How to Avoid Regrets with Adult Braces
Should adults stop wearing braces?
People say, "Adults shouldn't wear braces."This is because of the disadvantages and risks associated with braces.
The disadvantages and risks of braces are problems that can occur at any age.
However, adult braces are more likely than braces for people in relatively younger age groups.
- Gum recession, bone hardening, and muscle weakness around the mouth are likely to occur due to age-related changes
- He tends to have a lot of dental implants and porcelain.
- The risk of periodontal disease tends to increase with age.
This increases the probability of disadvantages and risks of orthodontic treatment,It can affect the orthodontic finish and facial appearance.
However, there are many advantages to having braces, as well as disadvantages and risks that can be covered by taking measures appropriate to the age and condition of the mouth.
Instead of focusing only on the disadvantages and risks and thinking, "I shouldn't get braces as an adult," it is better to consider the advantages as well.
Disadvantages and risks of adult braces
Adult braces have the following disadvantages and risks
- Discomfort and inconvenience caused by orthodontic devices often occur
- Possible side effects from braces
- Need to set aside time for regular visits to the dentist
Discomfort and inconvenience caused by orthodontic devices often occur
Whether wire or mouthpiece braces, orthodontic appliances must be worn on the teeth in order to move them.
The mouth is so sensitive that even a small speck of food stuck in the teeth can be a concern.
Therefore, simply wearing an orthodontic device can cause great discomfort,No small amount of inconvenience in eating, pronunciation, etc.It is.
Basically, you will get used to it over time, but it does not mean that you will be able to spend your life in the same way as when you do not have orthodontic appliances, so you will have to come to terms with a certain amount of discomfort and inconvenience.
Possible side effects from braces
In bracesThere is a risk of the following side effects
- Pain of moving teeth
- Pain from orthodontic appliances hitting the mouth
- gum recession
- root resorption
- pulp necrosis
- Lines become more prominent
- Metal allergy caused by orthodontic wires
- Onset of TMJ disorder
- Manifestation of indefinite complaints
- Artificial teeth need to be rebuilt or implants need to be redone, etc.
This can happen at all ages, not just with adult braces, but the older you are, the higher the risk because your metabolism is slower.
The possible problems and risks associated with braces are well understood before starting.Make sure to do so.
Need to set aside time for regular visits to the dentist
Because braces take one to three years to straighten,You need to make time for regular visits to the dentist.
Failure to attend the dentist as directed by the dentist may increase the length of treatment.
Advantages of Adult Braces
Adult braces have the following advantages
- Easier self-care
- Can reduce damage to teeth caused by biting
- Leads to overall health.
- Leads to better first impressions
When teeth grow on top of each other, self-care such as brushing is difficult.
The better alignment of the teeth reduces the uneven areas of the teeth, which makes it easier to brush the teeth,The risk of cavities and gum disease is lowered by reducing plaque and tartar buildup.
Can reduce damage to teeth caused by biting
A good bite is one in which all teeth can properly take the load of biting.
A poor bite places stress on only some teeth, which may shorten the life of teeth due to pulpitis or traumatic occlusion.
Therefore, by adjusting the bite with braces,This can reduce the burden on the teeth.
Leads to overall health.
Chewing with your own teeth is,Aids brain activity and smooth digestion.
Creating an oral environment that facilitates self-care with braces and reducing damage to teeth caused by biting can help protect one's teeth.
Protecting one's teeth further leads to overall health.
Leads to better first impressions
Because a smile looks better when the teeth are aligned,This will improve first impressions.
Many people in other countries believe that good dentition is a matter of course, and this idea is spreading in Japan, where globalization has progressed.
Nowadays in Japan, many people start orthodontic treatment after the age of 60, and their awareness of the alignment of their teeth seems to be changing.
Cost of Adult Braces
The cost of braces for adults,
- About 700,000-1,500,000 yen for total correction
- About 100,000 to 500,000 yen for partial orthodontic treatment
is the market price.
In addition to this, the following costs may apply
- Initial consultation fee (counseling fee) → free of charge - about 5,000 yen
- Examination and diagnostic fee → about 30,000-50,000
- Adjustment fee (treatment fee) → about 3,000-6,000 yen
- Retainer fee (retainer fee) → about 10,000-60,000 yen
- Retention observation fee → about 2,000-5,000 yen
The cost of braces varies depending on the orthodontic appliances used, the condition of the teeth, and whether partial or full braces are used.
In addition, since braces are self-funded, each dentist is free to set his or her own costs.
Although there are cost quotes, the cost of the same case generally varies depending on the location, treatment plan, orthodontic appliances used, and whether there is an adjustment fee (procedure fee) or counseling fee.
Length of time for adult braces
How long does it take to get adult braces,
- About 2 to 3 years with total correction.
- About 6 months to 1 year for partial orthodontic treatment
Treatment time tends to be shorter for mild cases with less tooth movement, and longer for more severe cases with more tooth movement.
Adult braces pain
In braces,Pain from moving teeth and pain from orthodontic appliances hitting the mouth is common.It is.
Find out in advance about pain peaks and how to manage pain.
Patterns of failure and regret in adult braces
We sometimes hear that adult braces have "failed" or "regretted" for the following reasons
- Deteriorated bite.
- Tooth decay and gum disease.
- Became ugly, etc.
Basically,Often caused by poor treatment planning, lack of self-care, and lack of understanding of the disadvantages and risks of orthodontic treatmentIt seems to be.
Choose your dentist carefully to avoid mistakes and regrets, and make sure you understand the disadvantages and risks of orthodontic treatment.
How to Avoid Regrets with Adult Braces
The type of orthodontist you choose is critical to the success of adult braces.
The following points will help you choose the right orthodontist for you.
- They offer a variety of treatment options.
- They explain both advantages and disadvantages.
- Easy to get to.
- Easy to make an appointment
- The atmosphere and feeling of the doctor, staff, and hospital is right.
The reason people say, "Adults shouldn't get braces" is because some people don't want to take the possible disadvantages and risks of braces.
The disadvantages and risks of braces can sometimes be covered by taking measures appropriate to the age and condition of the mouth.
Instead of focusing only on the disadvantages and risks and thinking, "I shouldn't get braces as an adult,The benefits of braces should also be considered.
- Consultation via dentist-run open chat
- Helping you find the right dentist for you
- Useful columns about the mouth
to support your oral health and beauty!
If you are considering adult braces, please feel free to contact us first for a dentist-operated open chat!
365dentist General Supervisor Dentist/Yukiko
Graduated from Nagasaki University School of Dentistry, ~2018 Kyushu Medical Center, 2018-present Working at a dental clinic in Tokyo
After completing clinical training, worked in cosmetic dentistry in Tokyo. Currently a dentist and dental writer.